Debates every 3 – 4 months.
We have had more and more interest in our pub debates and decided last year to run these every 3 – 4 months on a Thursday evening in the Copper Horse, Alma Road in a special function room. We start at 8:00pm refreshing ourselves with a drink and savoury snacks with a prompt start at 8:15 pm. We sometimes will debate serious issues and sometimes have a very “tongue in cheek” item for discussion. The speaker on each side have 10 minutes to put their case, and the Chairman then opens it up for everyone to ask questions of speakers and put their own point of view – invariably quite lively, we get some very penetrating insight as well as a lot of laughter! Finally each speaker has 2 minutes to sum up their case before the Chairman calls for the vote. We then debate and vote for what the next topics should be the evening closing at around 9:30 pm.
Recent ones are shown below with results!
This house believes:
- Most corruption- including MP’s expenses can be justified (defeated)
- Men over 65 are useless (defeated)
- We are not paying bankers enough (defeated)
- We really need nuclear energy (passed)
- We in the UK should remain fully committed to the European Union (defeated)
- We should build a third runway at Heathrow (passed)
For more information contact Andrew Giles.